As parents, we often feel as though we need to become a short-order cook at dinner time. You want something that’s easy and light, your spouse wants something more hearty, and your kid just wants mac and cheese — and everyone is on the precipice of “hangry.” Well, this dish is a crowd pleaser and a common lunch time offering at Yumi HQ – it’s packed with nutrients and flavor, and you can pull it all together in under 30 minutes. Serve it with some steamed veggies and you’re good to go.
We prefer buying wild salmon — which tends to be brighter in color and more savory/complex in flavor versus farm-raised salmon. There are other positives associated with buying wild salmon, but that’s a post for another day.
Looking for some time saving hacks? Here are some of my go-to hacks for pulling together quick dinners.
Bottled Lemon Juice – I am the queen of buying lemons and forgetting to use them. That’s why I decided to stop buying them whole (unless I’m trying to be super fancy) and I buy my lemon juice bottled. A bottle will keep for several weeks in the fridge, so it’ll last you awhile and it’s crazy convenient.
Pre-Minced Garlic – Because no one with kids actually has time to spend mincing sticky garlic. That’s why I love keeping jars of organic pre-minced garlic in my fridge. It’s a game changer.
Steam-In-Bag Vegetables – Many people are hesitant to buy vegetables from the freezer section, but the truth is that as long as it’s organic and additive-free, it’s worth it. As a parent, I know that veggies are veggies – they’re still going to be nutritious and the frozen part just adds a touch of convenience.
Easy Garlic + Citrus Salmon
5 ingredients (yes, really!) Truly simple and delicious.
1 tablespoon butter or ghee
1 large salmon steak, organic and boneless
2 teaspoons minced garlic
Juice of 1/2 a lemon / 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Dash of salt + pepper
Fresh lemon wedges and herbs, if desired
- Begin by placing a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add butter or ghee, and allow to melt slightly.
- Add in the salmon steak, minced garlic, juice of 1/2 a lemon, salt and pepper.
- Cook the salmon steak for approximately 4 minutes on each side, until the salmon is browned on the outside, and tender and flaky on the inside.
- Garnish an additional spritz of fresh lemon juice and/or fresh herbs.
Citrusy Orzo + Tomatoes
Great for lunch. Great for dinners. Great as leftovers.
8 ounces orzo pasta (1/2 of a standard one-pound box)
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 teaspoons chopped chives
Dash of salt + pepper
- Cook orzo in a pot of boiling, salted water according to package directions.
- Once you’ve strained the cooked orzo, run cool water over the pasta in the strainer, in order to cool the pasta.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked orzo, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice, olive oil, chopped chives, salt and pepper. Gently mix until well-combined.
Looking to add even more flavor? Add in 1/4 of grated Parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup of fresh, crumbled Feta cheese. Delish!