Apple Sauce is a classic, and our version is going to become a household staple – guaranteed! We make our apple sauce with no added sugar. Instead, we add lucuma, the dried powder of a green Peruvian fruit. Lucuma is used as a low-glycemic sweetener, and has a subtle maple flavor. It’s an excellent source of fiber, minerals and vitamins (especially B3!). Furthermore, it’s the perfect way to sweeten your applesauce, without actually adding sugar. This way, you can feel comfortable giving it to your babe.
In addition to lucuma, we flavor our applesauce with cinnamon and nutmeg. It will smell and taste like fall – but we promise you can enjoy it at any time of year 😉
Try this recipe with your babe, or with the whole family. Better yet, if the season is right, make it a family affair and try picking your own apples from an apple orchard!
Homemade Apple Sauce
Apples. Lucuma. Cinnamon. Nutmeg. Our recipe for classic, no sugar-added Homemade Apple Sauce.
8-10 small apples, peeled, cored and quartered
1 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon lucuma
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a large pot, combine quartered apples and water. Add a lid onto the pot and allow the mixture to simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes, until the apples are soft and tender.
- Remove the apples from the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Using tongs, remove the cooked apples from the cooking liquid, and place the cooked apples in a large blender.
- Add lucuma, cinnamon and nutmeg into the blender, and blend until you have a smooth applesauce.
- Serve immediately, or keep in the fridge for up to one week.