If you’re familiar with Yumi, then you’re probably familiar with our truly delicious Squash + Greens blend, which features oodles of nutrients. From vitamin K-packed kale (yay for heart health!) to beta-carotene-packed butternut squash (which converts to Vitamin A in the body), it’s a nutrient-powerhouse for the littlest person in your house. But this delicious combo isn’t just for babies— which is why we’ve turned it into an amazing, simple frittata recipe that you can also enjoy.
This recipe incorporates fresh, diced onion, kale and butternut squash (you can use pre-roasted or frozen squash). Besides beta-carotene, butternut squash is full of fiber, vitamin C and E, as well as potassium and manganese. Kale provides you and your little one with some healthy, nutrient-dense roughage, meaning that it’ll keep your tummies happy and healthy, all while nourishing your body.
If you are a Yumi subscriber, we have the ultimate parenting hack. Instead of using the kale and butternut squash listed in the recipe below, you can simply add our Squash + Greens blend to the meal. Just sauté the onion in olive oil, and toss the contents of your Squash + Greens jar into the frying pan. Sauté for 30 seconds before adding the egg mixture. Instead of sautéing the veggies and the eggs for one minute, sauté them for about a minute and a half, since the mixture will be slightly more liquid-y with the jar contents. Then place in the oven and bake as per the directions below— yum!
The great thing about frittatas is that they can actually be made ahead of time— whip up a frittata and keep it in your fridge for up to 48 hours. In order to reheat, just cut a slice, pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds and voila!
Toss in some nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is another ingredient that you’ll already find in our Squash + Greens blend. We love it because not only does it provide a cheesy flavor, but nutritional yeast is also extremely good for you. Did you know that it’s a complete source of protein and B vitamins? It also contains folate, selenium and zinc— yum 😋 Add in 1-2 tablespoons into the egg mixture before baking (the more the merrier is what we always say!)
From Our Kitchen: Squash + Greens Frittata
Inspired by our very own Squash + Greens blend.
1 small onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups fresh kale
1/2 cup fresh or frozen butternut squash*
2 tablespoons whole milk or almond milk
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
*You can use leftover already-roasted squash or sweet potatoes that you have on hand, or you can use frozen butternut squash.
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, create the egg mixture by combining eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and mixing well with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized sauté pan, combine olive oil, fresh kale and butternut squash. Over medium-high heat, sauté for 7-8 minutes, until the onions, kale and butternut squash are soft.
- Once the vegetables are soft, add in the egg mixture and mix in with the veggies, stirring constantly for one minute. Remove the pan from the heat (eggs will still be very runny - they’ll finish cooking in the oven) and transfer the pan into the oven.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.