As is the case with any parent, I’m constantly thinking about what I’m going to feed my babe and how I’m going to keep them entertained now that summer is finally here and school is out. To fill these summer days, I’ve found myself in the kitchen more – partially as a retreat from the heat, and partially because I’m so inspired by all of the great produce that’s in season during the summer. Summer is a great opportunity to get your babe more involved in the kitchen – take them to the farmer’s market so that they can help you pick out the best produce. At home, have them help you measure ingredients and mix – you can even give them their own cutting board (with a rubber grip) and kid-friendly knife so that they can help you prepare produce. Our Lemon Blueberry Muffins were made with toddlers in mind – they’ll love picking out the blueberries for this recipe, and helping you measure and mix.
Now, let’s talk nutrients. Blueberries come first to mind for me, especially during summer because they’re abundant at farmer’s markets. And if there’s no fresh blueberries in sight, don’t worry! You can make these little muffins with your little any time of the year by swapping in organic, frozen berries. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, which support the heart and help decrease the likelihood of sickness and infections. They’re also high in vitamin C, which supports the immune system, and vitamin K, which aids blood coagulation, meaning a happy, healthy heart. To top it all off, blueberries are a great source of fiber, which promotes a healthy digestive system. Healthy digestive system = happy tummy.
To make these muffins as delicious and good for you as possible, I’ve made them free of all refined sugar. Instead of using classic sweeteners like sugar or maple syrup, this recipe is sweetened by nature itself (bananas, applesauce and coconut yogurt add a deliciously subtle, sweetness). To make them gluten-free, I used a mix gluten-free oat flour and coconut flour – but feel free to use whatever flours you have on hand.
The best part of this recipe (besides the blueberries)? The lemon zest. Don’t get lazy here. Lemon zest adds such an amazing burst of flavor that you’ll be happy you brought out your zester.
Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Sweetened by nature, not by refined sugar.
- 2 smashed bananas
- 1/2 cup vanilla or coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup oat flour (ground oats)
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries (or 1 cup of organic frozen blueberries)
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 (F) degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl containing the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the blueberries and lemon zest.
- In a paper-lined or greased mini muffin tin, pour in the muffin batter until the tins are filled 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes, until the tops of the mini muffins are golden brown.
- Let cool, and enjoy!